Continuing work on the double-satin ribbon corset, this part shows how I finished the side panels.
I hand-folded the seam allowance for the second coutil layer and prepared to cover it with ribbon.
For this corset, the panel was just slightly wider than the primary ribbon I am using, so I took some narrower black ribbon (7/8″ wide), folded it over the edge of the coutil, and stitched it down. If you are making your own ribbon corset, figure out a pleasing arrangement of ribbon and stitch it to the coutil panel.
Both edges are covered with the narrow ribbon, and the wide ribbon is waiting to be attached. All of the ribbon pieces extend about 1″ past the top and bottom edges of the coutil.
I top-stitched the wide ribbon to the coutil panel along its edges.
Inside and outside views. Looking at the inside, you can barely see the raw edge of the coutil seam allowance.
This photo shows the view from the inside of the corset. I lined up the coutil with the edge of the corset panel, leaving the extra ribbon hanging.
I top stitched the covered coutil to the panel, being very careful to keep everything lined up properly.
This photo shows the cover layer stitched to the corset along its edges.
After it is in place, I marked the center of the panel with chalk.
Then I lock-stitched the first boning channel. Lock-stitching is when you finish a line of stitching, turn the garment around in the sewing machine, and stitch back over the exact line of stitching. I do this two or three times whenever sewing a boning channel.
Using the center line of stitching as a guide, I stitched 1/4″ boning channels along the entire panel.
I then inserted the boning.
After centering the boning in the panel, I stitched at the ends to secure it in place.
To prep the lining, I cut a piece of broadcloth the same size as the coutil for the panel and hand-folded the seam allowance.
I then lined it up on the inside of the corset and top-stitched it in place, being careful to keep it lined up properly with the panel. In the photo below, the needle is holding the top end in place, and my left hand is holding the bottom end. I stopped and double-checked periodically while stitching to make sure it was still where it should be. I am also stitching about 3/16″ in from the side of the panel so the seam along the lining will be deep enough to catch more easily. On most of the panels, after making sure the lining was secure I came back and top-stitched again about 1/8″ from the edge, to eliminate some of the loose lining outside the seam.
This image shows the lining after it is attached.
To finish the top and bottom edges, I trimmed the ribbon to about 3/4″, folded it over nicely (to eliminate any loose threads and raw edges) and basted it to itself. This isn’t technically necessary, but it made life a lot easier on the next step.
Then I turned the corset over, folded the ribbon to the inside, held it tight, and top-stitched 1/4″ from the edge.
This photo shows the inside of the panel after top-stitching. All raw edges and loose threads are secured underneath the folded-over ribbon.
These photos show the entire panel, finished inside and out.
This is what the corset currently looks like. I still need to finish the grommet panels, add buttonholes at the busk for a ribbon, and make the lacing panel before it will be entirely finished.