I have made quite a bit of progress on the open hood since the previous blog entry. In fact, it is nearly finished.
At this stage the hood was completely sewn together by hand with linen thread, including gores on either side of the skirt. The embroidery was just started, showing only the little pips where the acanthus pattern will branch.
Using the pips as guides, I used chain stitch to create the meandering flow of the acanthus vine.
The embroidery is nearly finished. After embroidering the continuous acanthus vine I added the limbs with leaves at each pip. I did run out of the pale green thread, necessitating that I use a different color for the vines at the back of the skirt. At this stage I was adding in the little new growth nubs at each joint.